2008 October 17
Let’s see. Yesterday I made the changes to my observing scripts that I wanted to do. I’m a little worried because they feel a bit fragile — one of the changes is to run a bunch of observations in sequence, which involves trying to make my script be able to skip up to the middle of a batch of observations if it gets restarted. That’s the sort of logic that can easily go wrong, and unfortunately it’s hard to test.
I spent a little bit of time looking at aperture photometry. After my initial work, it provides results that seem about as good as the image-fitting I’ve been doing before. But I think I’d like to see what performs better on high-quality images before deciding whether to pursue the apphot more. Unfortunately, most of my images have flagging issues at the level of accuracy that I’d like to work at, so I feel like I need to figure out a way to fix my flagging once and for all before I can decide what to do with the the apphot. Unfortunately, I’ve work on fixing flagging once and for all several times now, and it never seems to work.
I also started rereading the Condon paper a bit. It’s a long one, so I’ll hopefully work on it piecemeal over the next few days.
I also put in my observing proposal. (Woo for taking care of the small things first!)